Saturday, March 10, 2007

Excellent Gateway Support

Gateway 200 ARC Laptop (actually made by Samsung)
This is an unusual post in praise of a GOOD experience with a computer vendor. Last Tuesday the hinge failed on my old Gateway 200 ARC laptop, in such a way that the cover (and screen) would no longer stay up by itself. That hinge originally contained a resistance mechanism that held the cover wherever the user put it, but no longer. The top wanted to flop either forward or backward, making it hard to use the computer.

I got on Gateway.com to see if they would sell that specific part. Not finding it, I clicked on "chat with a tech." Up came an instant-messaging screen. Though I'm embarrassed now to admit it, when the tech took my serial number, he (or she) reminded me that my computer was still under a support contract. Aha! Apparently I had bought a four-year agreement with the computer, thinking that a laptop might be a bit more apt to fail than, say, a refrigerator. An iffy decision at the time, now very good news!

The tech (extremely professional and impersonal) explained that this problem was indeed covered by the warranty, and would be repaired at their service center if I would ship the computer to them. In fact, for $45, I could opt for expedited service where they would send me an appropriate shipping carton and they would pay for air shipping in all directions. I took the deal. Here's what happened:

  • Tuesday afternoon: I had this discussion with Gateway.
  • Wednesday: The box arrived. I inserted the computer and called the shipping company, who picked it up.
  • Thursday: I received an email saying that Gateway had received the laptop, and then another saying that they had repaired it and shipped it back.
  • Friday MORNING: I received the repaired computer.
Not only had they repaired the hinge, but they also replaced the keyboard, which had in fact been getting a little cranky. The computer works as well as it did when new, and I was without it for less than two days.

I think this was REALLY good service. Kudos to Gateway.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Um, awesome! I haven't had my front-line computer for 12 days and it's still missing. They apparently had to special order a part. How many parts do laptops have?? A laptop repair department couldn't keep them on hand??? And apparently I have to send my battery to a different place than the rest of my laptop. What IS THIS?!?!

ANyway, that's good news for you :)